Friday, March 25, 2011

VegeMarmite

After much conversing with several online friends from Australia I decided to take the plunge and try Vegemite, which I thought was available at my local Wegmans but I was wrong.  So I picked up a jar of Marmite, only to be told that I was not allowed to compare it to Vegemite as it was the equivalent of cheese in a can.  :)

I've posted pics below and, while you don't actually see me consuming the Marmite, know that nobody sees me that early in the morning with my hair in a towel.


This is me, as taken by my son Mark, actively engaged in the Vegemite v. Marmite conversation.  



Lightly buttered white wheat toast, tea, and the Marmite.


The actual Marmite as knifed from the jar, it has the texture of honey and smells exactly like bouillon.



Thinly spread upon the bread as it's not jam or butter.


My big old bite.


As with all my photos, I just use my digital camera as I like the way home food looks as is, without special lighting or circumstances, which means that sometimes things are blurry but you get what I'm talking about.

The verdict:  I like this stuff.  A lot.  It's especially good on a lightly toasted and buttered sesame bagel.  Funnily enough, I think it tastes better when eaten with tea or a glass of juice rather than coffee.  It really smells like a salty, slightly beefy bouillon, and, spread thinly through the butter, it's salty like anchovies but not fishy.  I really can't describe it except to say that I am hooked.

It was pointed out to me that I can buy proper Vegemite here, however, I am to studiously avoid this particular version.  Amazon also sells Vegemite through various marketplace sellers.

Go forth and try it!


9 comments:

Elle said...

Oh, good for you! I've never been intrigued enough to try it, but you may have swayed me. Thanks for adding the links so I can easily find it. Someday. ;)

Injera said...

It's been a while since I've had Marmite - my South African in-laws always make sure there's some in the cupboard when we visit but I have learned to travel with Vegemite! I'd forgotten that it had that honey-ish texture.

You have the perfect technique for an assault on the real thing! Thinly spread, on white toast with butter and a cup of tea handy just in case. I look forward to hearing how that goes.

Foodie Fictionista said...

I like cheese in a can.

Gretchen said...

In the UK, Marmite is very polarizing - you either love it or loathe it. There is no sitting on the fence about it. Congrats for giving it a try!

Lisa said...

Thanks all for commenting.

@Elle Do give it a try, really. You may be pleasantly surprised, as I was.

@Injera I've heard from others who have tried it that they lavished it on like jam; fortunately, you all told me the proper way, which is why I think it was so successful. I have since, however, gone a bit thicker as I really like it.

@Foodie Fictionista: I like cheese in a can, too, especially on those rectangular Club Crackers. So good. :)

@Gretchen That's exactly what I've heard, kind of like anchovies, there is no middle ground. I really am surprised that I like it and it makes a nice savory change from my usual ginger jam or marmalade.

I've ordered a jar of Vegemite so let the taste-testing continue!

Daily Spud said...

I have Australian relatives to thank for my addiction to vegemite, which I would choose over marmite any day. While I didn't take to it at first, now I just love to have it thinly spread on buttered toast with maybe with a slice of cheddar. Absolute savoury heaven.

The Caked Crusader said...

I adore marmite - particularly the extra aged version (with a black label on the jar); it's mellow and savoury and ....oh god, must go and make some toast!

Amy K. said...

I've always been intrigued by both and spied a jar (I can't remember which one, but I think it was marmite) at Whole Foods the other day. Your post has inspired me to give it a try!

anncee said...

Marmite or vegemite are great with cheese on plain buttered graham crackers or with cheese in a toasted sandwich. Spread one slice of bread with vegemite/marmite, add slices of cheese, butter the outside of the sandwich and fry in a pan - yummmyyyy I'm in New Zealand and there is always debate which is the nicer, marmite or vegemite!