Saturday, January 8, 2011

And...January


Welcome to 2011.  I’ve got nothing on my plate, no resolutions, no dietary restrictions, no promises to be entertaining or insightful.  However, I did finally find my old copybook that I’ve been writing half-assed recipes in for eons and I may actually try to decipher what I’ve put on paper to see if they are actual recipes or just the mad scribblings of a lunatic who should not be allowed near an open flame.  My fridge is loaded for bear with bacon, sausage, all kinds of cheeses from faraway lands (you know, like France and Wales), mass quantities of produce, and the odd bottle of beer.  Or several.  Bass, Harp, and Samuel Adams spring to mind.  So we’re off to a good start.  I can feed myself and my family.  I’ve also got pasta in the cupboard and ran amok at Wegmans the other day, purchasing fresh new jars of red curry paste, hoisin sauce, duck sauce and the like in the hopes that I rekindle my love of cooking Asian fare.  Here’s hoping the jars don’t sit in the fridge and get funky.
I’ve got a slew of new cookbooks, titles from Ching He-Huang, Laura Calder, Isa Chandra Moskowitz and kitschy volumes from Henry Hill and Bitchin’ Kitchen, any or all of which I may review this month.  I may even live dangerously and actually make something from each.  Gasp.  Sit yourself back down, now.  I think I may also have a title on order from Amazon UK, an Anjum Anand book of curries but I’m not sure and I’m too lazy to actually check my account.  I do so love a curry and mine were sorely lacking last year so this, hopefully, will provide some much-needed assistance.
My cooktop is down to two burners now, both of course on one side, which means it’s a royal pain to use two big pans at the same time.  It is the first time since getting rid of the microwave that I kinda sorta wish I had one.  But next month hopefully will see me with a shiny new one, even though it makes me extraordinarily tetchy that the price of a simple cooktop is often more than a full stove.  Go figure.  But it will be nice to have a new, sealed model, one that doesn’t let all the bits of pasta and nuts and everything else that flies out of the pan down into the bottom.  It’s vile having to clean that up and I do believe a wee bit dangerous.  You know, pilot lights and gas and such.
That’s it, I guess, for now.  :)

1 comment:

Foodie Fictionista said...

Oh.My.God. Thank you. Thank you for being brave enough to say "Word Press didn't work for me." I have started and stopped a million blogs there trying to figure out WHY it is SO MUCH BETTER. Well, guess what, they also said "Fat Free" was better and all that did was create the fattest unhappiest American's EVER. I love your Let It Roll Resolution. Also, I totally think Wegman's should hire us for their marketing dept. Looking forward to cookbook reviews from you!