Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bagels!

I've made bagels before but I had to share this with you:


True bagel success. Using the recipe for water bagels from King Arthur flour I made some this morning.  I don't believe I'll be using my old recipes again.  This particular batch used a product called non-diastatic malt powder and I followed the recipe on the package, which differs only from the online version in that the latter calls for instant malted milk powder.  This may alter the results but, judging by the rave reviews, you'll be pleased either way.

These don't taste exactly like deli bagels and this may have something to do with my letting them rise for 20 minutes before they were boiled.  I like a dense, chewy bagel when eating with cream cheese or lox or other toppings; however, the majority of these will be turned into eggwiches and I wanted something a bit more bready.

These are awesome.  They are easy to make, don't take up as much time as you'd think, and the end result is well worth the effort.  I am beyond thrilled with these and would love to hear if anyone else gives them a try.

7 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

I like my bagels toasted a bit and then slathered with cream cheese. That's it. Heaven. Trade ya some homemade creamed corn for a couple of these bagels!

Lisa said...

@Tangled Noodle A most worthy trade, indeed!

Chow and Chatter said...

wow awesome so proud of u

Julie said...

Ohh its cute..I like it..Great job! Thanks for the share!

The Caked Crusader said...

I am just about to put some cream cheese on a slice of toast...I would far rather have one of these beauties though!

Reeni said...

These look excellent! I have never made my own bagels but would to try at some point. I'm inspired! And eggwiches sound delicious - it's been a long while since I had one.

Reeni said...

Hi Lisa, Just stopped by again to respond to your question about Italian seasoning - I buy mine from the bulk bin at my local natural foods store - it doesn't have red pepper in it at all. I really love the spices and herbs I get there - I can buy as much or as little as I like and they are of good quality and cheap too.