Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Early Days Yet

I've been told by some that I've planted my garden too soon and that I may not get a good crop because of the wonky weather we've been having (days of endless heat and sunshine and then a plunge into the low 50s); however, things are looking good thus far. It's a bit smaller than last year--I think--even though I have 21 pepper plants, in part because I thought the pots I was buying had four in each; turns out they had nine. So I've got nine each jalapeno and sweet bell pepper plants so I should end up with something by the time all is grown and done. The other three plants are two hot cherry and one serrano chili. I'm also trying white eggplant, strawberries, chard, and tarragon just because I've never grown them before and I'm curious to see what happens. I will say that I checked on the chard this morning and it's exploded; I just have to get pics. It's a blend called "le bizarre" from the Franchi Italian seed collection and it is supposed to grow yellow, red, and purple varieties. Should be fun.


Chard


Rocket


Peppers and tomatoes on side patio, that small red pot is full of fennel seeds.


Bottom row, left to right: mustard greens, cherry peps, yellow grape tomatoes; on table: oregano, chard, cilantro (bottom); sage (middle); parsley, eggplant (top); strawberries, upper right corner. The empty pots are basils and tarragon, with the serrano chili plant in the middle.

2 comments:

dodi said...

love it!!! I have just about killed everything you gave me... :(

I don't know if I am overwatering, or should have put them outside. They are currently on a cabinet in my (very sunny) dining room.

sigh.... I'll probably end up buying the starter plants and going from there.

So excited to see what dishes you come up with after all these beauties really take off! Good Luck!

Chow and Chatter said...

oh how exciting it will be fine no worries