Friday, February 19, 2010

In the kitchen with Bridget

I was saving this for my 100th entry but, at the rate I'm going, that may be a bit down the road. So here is a recipe by my friend Bridget, whom I've known since time began. We bonded over a love of ethnic cuisine and and a fear of Munchee and would treat ourselves often to veggie lunches on South Street at the hole-in-the-wall Mexican place and South St. Souvlaki. She was also always kind enough to take home quarts of leftover curries and other dishes that I made the night before and shared her recipe for the world-famous Holiday Cheese Ball. Bridget's love of food rivals my own and it pleases me greatly to share this recipe with you.



Barley Chorizo Soup

I recently bought some soy chorizo at Trader Joe’s, because back when I was a meat-eater, I loved chorizo, and thought it was worth trying the veggie version. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do with it, but during a cold weather snap here in Philadelphia, got the urge to make a nice, hearty soup.

It turned out so well, I decided to write down the recipe, both for my own purposes, and also to share with anyone who might be interested.


Ingredients

2 T. olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes (reserve the liquid)
1-2 T. cumin
Dash of salt and pepper
1 cup vegetable broth
½ cup wine (red or white)
3 cups water
1 package soy chorizo
½ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup barley
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained (or other kinds – I had black beans on hand)


In a large stockpot, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil; when the onions are nearly transparent, add drained tomatoes, along with the enough of the reserved liquid to equal 1 cup. Add cumin, salt, and pepper, and let cook for approximately 5 minutes.

Add vegetable broth, wine, and
2 cups of water, and bring to a boil; add chorizo and barley. Stir and then cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes.

Add beans and parsley, and
1 cup of water,* then cover the pot again and simmer for 20 minutes.

Ladle into bowls, add a dollop of sour cream (if desired), and serve with bread (if you have freshly baked bread, it really adds to the whole experience!).

This makes approximately 6-8 servings, and freezes well.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

dodi said...

This looks fantastic. Is it thick enough to put in a bread bowl?? ☺

I had no idea you were vegetarian! How did I not put two and two together there?? Dope me. I am a mutt of sorts: raised a meat eater. Vegetarian for almost 10 years. Re-introduced some meats (slowly) into the diet. More fish and seafood, rather than meats. But I was an unhealthy veg head. I didn't learn enough and ended up sick. Again... dope me! :/

Bridget said...

Maybe I need to develop a recipe that includes Munchee??? It could be used by people in mystery stories who wanted to get away with murder ...

Quilting Mama said...

Sad news Ms. L - the hole in the wall Mexican place on South Street went away as so many of the good things on South Street.

Lisa said...

Dodi, I am so not a veggie; Bridget is an awesome cook and this is really good. What's so great about this is that you can use regular chorizo (which is so, so, so good) or the veggie equivalent. :-)

Erica said...

My vegetarian husband would love this soup!

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com