Wednesday, January 20, 2010

RIP Robert B. Parker

I am a huge fan of the Spenser novels written by Robert B. Parker. And not just because Spenser is pure of heart. The man can cook. Every book sees him in the kitchen cooking: for himself, for his girlfriend (Susan Silverman), for a damsel in distress. Take, for instance, this passage from the first Spenser novel, The Godwulf Manuscript:

"I put on a pot of rice to cook and got four boneless chicken breasts out of the meat keeper. I cooked them with wine and butter and cream and mushrooms. While they cooked I tossed a salad and made a dressing with lime juice and mint, olive oil, honey, and wine vinegar. There were two bottles of Rhine in the refrigerator for which I'd originally had other plans, but I could buy some more tomorrow."

I want to eat that meal. I can envision it on one of my favorite plates. I'm tasting it now. And there are many others. Hell, even kitchen-phobic Susan makes beet risotto and even goes out of her way to buy a white bowl so it will look pretty.

I love these books. I re-visit them every summer because they are so easy to get lost in. And they make you hungry. They make you want to cook.

We even named our dog Spenser and our cat Pearl (after Spenser's dog; we adopted her to keep Spenser company).

Thank you, Mr. Parker. You will be sorely missed.

3 comments:

puffthemagicrabbit said...

That was a really nice tribute. I've picked the books up once or twice at my mom's, but never quite started them. I think I may now. (my summer books are the Stephanie Plum ones. skipped them last summer so just started today. cuz i had reading enniu...)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Good to know. I've never read any of his books. Have you read any of Diane Mott Davidson? I love her recipes which are particularly good for cookies and brownies.

The Caked Crusader said...

Sad - I didn't know he died. He was possibly the only person I've ever read about who was as obsessed with Philip Marlowe as I am!