Friday, January 22, 2010

The Man with the Golden Gun


For reasons completely unknown to me, I decided yesterday I absolutely had to have Thai food. Nothing too complicated, mind you, as the chittlins were home and they can only be trusted alone for so long. So I rooted through my recipes from my Thai cooking class and tweaked this together. It's a rather simple stir-fry, similar to a Chinese dish, with a few Thai ingredients.

Thai-style Stir Fry with Chicken

(Instead of repeating myself in a most annoying fashion, note that the chicken and veggies are all thinly sliced. And you can obviously use any veggies you want and eliminate the meat.)

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 carrots
1 bell pepper
1 small/medium yellow onion
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce (I used Thai-style thin soy but really, soy sauce is pretty much soy sauce for this dish)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp Thai chili paste (more if you like it hot)
1 tsp brown sugar
Sliced scallions

Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok (I don't have a wok; my paella-ish pan works well) until screechingly hot. Stand back and add the chicken, trying to get it in one layer so it can be tossed about rather than steaming. After it's no longer pink, toss in the veggies, garlic, and ginger (I add the garlic and ginger now because whenever I add them with the chicken they burn and get all kinds of nasty) and quickly cook for about 3 minutes (you want the chicken thoroughly cooked and the veggies just beyond raw). Add the soy/oyster/fish sauces, the chili paste (if using), and the sugar making sure everything is coated and the sauces are well-blended. Cook for about another 2 minutes. Serve over rice (jasmine, basmati, or regular long-grain, doesn't matter) and sprinkle abundantly with the scallions. Or not. I just love them.

Sheriff J.W. Pepper (Peppah!) might not take a shine to this but I'm betting Bond, James Bond could easily find a nice champagne to go with.

Enjoy.

6 comments:

puffthemagicrabbit said...

Yum. Thanks!

Bridget said...

That sounds delicious (and the picture makes it look more so)!

BTW, at my new job, we have a James Bond Map Room. Really.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Looks wonderful! I've never used fish sauce as an ingredient. BTW I went on Amazon and ordered that book you quoted from so I'll let you know if it inspires me to cook anything -LOL

Chow and Chatter said...

oh this looks amazing Lisa

Debinhawaii said...

I often get "have to have" cravings for Thai food. This looks delicious. Wonderful stir-fry.

Erica said...

We love Thai flavors in this house :) That looks delicious.