Friday, October 9, 2009

Pie!

Apple pie with cheddar cheese crust in three stages. This made the house smell so good whilst it was baking.


I used 3lbs of Granny Smith apples, juice of one lemon, 1/3 cup white sugar, about a tbsp of cinnamon, and 2 tbsp of corn starch.


Crust was made with 1 1/2 cups flour, 8 tbsp cold butter, cut into tiny cubes, 1/3 cup extra-sharp cheddar, and 4 tbsp ice water. Pulsed first three ingredients in food processor until it looked like chunky cornmeal then added water slowly through the tube with it still running. Pulsed until it came together and I could easily form it into a large disc. Fridged for about an hour before rolling into crust.


Baked at 425 for an hour; it's very brown from the cheese.

I really love pie.

11 comments:

Erica said...

I can't bake!!! That looks delicious.

Bridget said...

Mmmmmmm ... pie!

Debinhawaii said...

Gorgeous! You are quite the impressive pie maker now! ;-)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Classic! Sometime try mixing in a golden delicious to mellow out the granny smiths. I bet that cheese crust is terrific! Steve won't eat cheese or I would make that next time :)

Chow and Chatter said...

great pie cool crust

The Caked Crusader said...

Now that is what I call a deep pie!!! Wow!
I've never had apple and cheese like that. I know some people have rich fruit cake with cheese too.
Looks great

TKW said...

Sigh...I wish I could bake!

Horlic said...

Yummy homemade pie! Is there any pie in durian flavor?

VINCENT said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

frockandfork said...

That looks so tempting - apples & cheddar - what a combo! I love your pie :)

ceilithe said...

Just for fun I clicked on the "next blog" link on my blog and, like magic, I'm at your blog...and rewarded with a pic of apple pie. Yummy!!