Friday, August 7, 2009

Sucess and epic fail

Been very busy in the kitchen recently but, as Jerry has been working from home and the boys have been spending most of their time in the yard, it has made updating a bit more difficult. I do have some pretty pictures to share; however, recipes are not in the cards right now.

This weekend, as you all know, is UFC 101 in Philly. Yes, I'm beside myself. Granted, I will not be there but the fact that it is in my hometown/birthplace whatever you'd like to call it warms the cockles of my heart. It means that next time, when the chittlins are older, we'll definitely be able to go. It easy to fall back on making cheesesteaks because, ner, Philly, cheesesteaks, you get the picture. And I've got gorgeous frozen ribeye slices ready to go. I don't want a full-on meat orgy because that probably will render me absolutely incapable of doing Pilates Sunday morning; however, I want something that's fun, easy, and sporty. My veggie bean chili is really good, and Indian is always something we love (I still have those samosas in the freezer); however, I'm not quite sure. I may end up just having the steaks for dinner with a sensible lunch beforehand so our hearts don't explode.

First up, the successes:


Gorgeous basil and tomatoes from my garden. I'm very pleased with these as I grew them from scratch, not starter plants. They tasted pretty aweseome, too.


Lovely, lovely, lovely and full of yum blackeyed pea curry with spicy goan sauce from Ruta Kahate's book, 5 Ingredients, 50 Dishes. I have talked several people into buying this on the strength of this recipe alone, so good is it. Check it out.


A simple oven-baked chicken salad. Marinated thin slices of chicken in buttermilk and hot sauce, breaded with Italian-seasoned crumbs, and bunged them in the oven. I had forgotten just how good one of these can taste, especially with a treat of peppercorn creamy Italian dressing.


Soft, cakey chocolate cookies with a sugar glaze (the boys did the glazing). Simple and delicious. This recipe came from the Rosie's Bakery cookbook; I'm afraid it may be out of print now but it really is worth picking up if you come across it. Her recipes are foolproof and delicious.


Last, epic fail. Made pasta carbonara last night. Ugh. It didn't turn into scrambled eggs (what you see is blips of parm) it just was weird. I think I've lost my taste for over-rich dishes and this was too much. Didn't like.

That's it for now. Jerry has his surgery next Wednesday so I am going to stock up on a ton of stuff this weekend so we have plenty of goodness for him to feast on. I'm definitely going to make a nice bangers & mash meal this Sunday but we'll see what he feels like eating once he gets home. I have a feeling I'll be making a lot of eggwiches for my man. :-)

5 comments:

Bridget said...

Nice picture post! That blackeyed pea curry is just too wonderful to be legal ...

Nice tomatoes and basil - you really got it all worked out this year, I'm so glad.

Take good care of Jerry. :-)

Chow and Chatter said...

have fun love the black eye pea curry

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What a cornucopia of delights! I know what you mean about sometimes loosing a taste for over rich foods. Right now although I love pancakes for breakfast all I want is a soft boiled egg on the weekend.

Have you heard of Apples for Jam? I saw it this weekend in a shop and it looked really appealing and I was tempted to pick it up but decided to wait to see what the feedback was.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

PS - Forgot to say that I hope your husband's surgery goes well and has a smooth recovery. Not knee surgery I wonder? So many having that operation these days.

Debinhawaii said...

Everything looks delicious. Here's to a speedy recovery for your hubby!