Saturday, July 4, 2009

Yankee Doodle Donlans

Growing up, my mom was a huge fan of Memorial Day, July 4th, any holiday that involved bedecking our house in stars & stripes. This picture was taken the year she had a flag for each state on our tiny lawn then added about another dozen on our porch. My dad and I had just come in from a swim in the yard when the photographer asked if he could take our picture. Granted, we didn't make the front page, but this is a most excellent memory for me.

Happy 4th of July!


5 comments:

Chow and Chatter said...

that is so cool what a neat idea have a great 4th

Bridget said...

Awesome. I'm sure it was one of the highlights of your mother's life ...

It's nice to see a picture of your dad.

The Caked Crusader said...

Great photo - you don't look a day older!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I LOVE it!!!! So sweet. Other than Christmas and Thanksgiving the 4th is the only other holiday I celebrate. Your mother would enjoy San Clemente ~ it is covered in flags as are all the houses and all the children have flags decorating their bikes and scooters ~ and of course everyone bbqs and watches the fireworks at the beach. No place I would rather be on the 4th.

Hope yours was a fun celebration!

Lisa said...

Thank you all for your nice comments and for your own memories. :)