Monday, July 13, 2009

Wine, cheese, bread

Sometimes, all you want is the basics: a little wine, a nice cheddar, some really good bread. Even if you're not eating all three in one sitting, sometimes you just want something simple that tastes good. You don't want the 59-grain crunchy bread or the loaf on the shelf that hurls twigs at you. Sometimes, all you want is this:



Homemade white bread. Freshly made bread from your own kitchen, made with only flour, yeast, water, a little molasses or honey to tease the yeast awake, nothing more, nothing less. Baked just right and toasted, served with luxuriously creamy butter and maybe a bit of jam or marmalade. It's a slow process, one not meant to be rushed, but the results are ever so worth it. Deeply satisfying with a remarkable taste and texture unlike anything you can find shrouded in plastic at the stores it taps something deep within. Maybe I'm waxing a little too, I don't know, weird, but there is something truly incredible about creating something so simple yet utterly amazing. And whilst it may not be brown and spiked with bran and oats and germ, it is good for you. It's homemade, with nothing artificial, and it was made with care and, at least in my kitchen anyway, a large pinch of magic. It truly is something to be eaten and enjoyed and, at the end of the day, you'll feel good for having had it.

7 comments:

Chow and Chatter said...

wow you are the queen of homemade breads proud of you, please send me some LOl in fact your pita was what got me on here he eh

Bridget said...

You forgot to mention how the whole house smells so amazing while it's baking!

Lisa said...

Rebecca: I love, love, love making bread. I don't have a bread machine but I use my KitchenAid and it's so easy--cheap, too. :)

Bridget: Yes! How could I forget! I wander around with a loaf after it's cooled and make Jerry smell it. It really can get you high.

Debinhawaii said...

Can you just mail me some? It looks so good. I had cheese, bread and salami for dinner tonight with a glass of wine and it was perfect. (Of course my bread was not homemade like yours!) ;-)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Yummmy! I love home baked bread with butter ~ maybe a little hunk of good cheese for lunch ~ now that's my idea of delicious!

Chow and Chatter said...

By the way I changed my site address to https://chowandchatter.blogspot.com
To match the name ! Love Rebecca
you remind me of my grandma and bread LOL

sutros said...

A good story

GK Chesterton: “The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

Voila: www.tastingtoeternity.com. This book is a poetic view of 30 of the best loved French cheeses with an additional two odes to cheese. Recipes, wine pairing, three short stories and an educational section complete the book.

From a hectic life on Wall Street to the peace and glories of the French countryside lead me to be the co-founder of www.fromages.com. Ten years later with the words of Pierre Androuet hammering on my brain:

“Cheese is the soul of the soil. It is the purest and most romantic link between humans and the earth.”

I took pen and paper; many reams later with the midnight oil burning Tasting to Eternity was born and self published.

I believe cheese and wine lovers should be told about this publication.

Enjoy.