Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'm your ice cream man

Last week, I finally got around to getting an ice cream maker. I previously had one of those little hand-crank models that I used extensively when I was first married; however, in subsequent moves I lost the ice case and just never upgraded. But now I have a Cuisinart and am most happy. First up, chocolate, using the recipe from the Cuisinart manual with some tweaks.

CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
2 cups milk, separated (I only had 1% so that's what I used; see notes below)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used Merckens bittersweet chips)
1 cup heavy cream, well chilled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Heat 1 cup of the milk until it is just bubbling around the edges. Put the chocolate and sugar into a blender or food processor and process until you have a fine, grainy texture. With the machine running, slowly add the hot milk and process until smooth. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl and let cool completely. Stir in the second cup of milk, the heavy cream, and the vanilla; cover tightly and refrigerate until cold, at least 30 minutes. Follow instructions for your particular machine; once it has processed for the noted time, you can eat it immediately or pour into a freezer-safe container for later.






Now the texture was not as a whole-fat ice cream is in that it was not nearly as creamy and there were some rather pleasing teeny chocolate bits throughout. Next time, I would definitely make a full-fat version as I prefer it; taste-wise, however, it is fantastic, especially with real chocolate jimmies on top. One other caveat of the low-fat version is that it's very hard to scoop out of the container once frozen. I'd recommend softening it up a bit before serving; even then, you may not get pretty scoops.

I'm itching to try DebinHawaii's apricot-cardamom creation, which looks almost too pretty to eat. Somehow, though, I think I could manage. :-)

4 comments:

Chow and Chatter said...

I want one looks great was it easy?

Lisa said...

Rebecca: The machine does all the work. I've only used it once so I can't vouch for its durability but it's not too noisy, easy to clean, and doesn't take up too much space. The canister does need to be frozen for a day or so before using so you do need to clear space in your freezer but it's a lot of fun and I'm afraid I might get hooked. :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Ah. Brings back fond memories of a handheld ice cream maker that I had as a young adult. It only made a single serving and you twisted the top until it was hard. I would make blackberry ice cream and to this day I've never had better ice cream than what that little contraption would make!

The apricot-cardamom desert sounds wonderful.

Debinhawaii said...

I love my machine--it makes me happy. I bought a second freezer drum for it in case I want to make two ice creams (sad but true!) and one is always in the freezer ready to go.

Thanks for the shout out on the ice cream too! ;-)