Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Donlan General Store

This is very cool. Apparently, my paternal grandparents used to own a little general store in upstate Pennsylvania, Shenandoah I believe. The man in the lower right (back to the wall) is my dad; the other man is his brother, my Uncle Jimmy. I wish I knew what year this was taken but he looks to be in his mid-teens so I'm guessing maybe some time in the 1940s. You can't tell from the picture, but those are bottles of Yuengling beer in the window over dad's shoulder. And what goes better with a Camel than the local brew. :-)


4 comments:

LA said...

I love photos like this that have so much history behind them.

Bridget said...

Oh how incredibly cool!

Plus, it's nice to know you come from honest, hardworking stock ... HA!

Lisa said...

Such a shame I done them wrong. :)

Maggie said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I love old photographs. You have inspired me to raid my Mum's collection this weekend.