Thursday, June 25, 2009

All hail cake!


This is a damn good cake, yummed by all. I riffed on a traditional "wacky cake"--god, I hate foods labelled "wacky"--by using less sugar, vanilla soy, and the chips. I'm really pleased with this. I haven't tried it with regular milk so I can't vouch for what it would taste like otherwise. I just had some soy in the fridge that needed a home so, voila. Cake. In fact, I should just stop buying the soy milk because it never really gets used and I hate to waste. So I won't buy it unless I know I need it. Like for this cake. Because I really like this cake.


Chocolate Chip Cake

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Large handful of chocolate chips

1 cup vanilla soy milk
1/3 cup oil (vegetable, canola, a clear oil, not olive)
1 tbsp white or cider or white wine vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour a 8 or 9 inch cake tin. Whisk the dry ingredients (including the chips) together in a large bowl. In another bowl or measuring glass, whisk the wet ingredients until combined. The milk will look slightly curdly but this will not be a problem. Add the wet into the dry and mix well with a spoon until combined but don't whisk as you can end up with a tough cake. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 mins Let cool and remove from the pan.

7 comments:

Jerry said...

Damn good cake.

Chow and Chatter said...

great and simple recipe and with soy milk like it

Bridget said...

Looks yummy.

But I am surprised that you needed to find a way to use the soy milk - I thought that was all you drank?

Lisa said...

Rebecca: I had a feeling I'd get a stamp of approval from you. :)

Bridget: I've been lax of late drinking it (it keeps getting pushed to the back of the fridge) although I'm still shaking often and buying well. :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

You know I can't make myself try soy milk, even though I know it is good for me. I really like the soybeans boiled in water with salt sprinkled on top. That's very tasty but rare to find them fresh. I believe they only have a short season.

Enjoy your cake :)

Debinhawaii said...

I have the same issue with soy milk, rice milk, any milk. I don't drink it much and push it to the back of the fridge unless I find something to put it in.

The cake looks great and I like the changes you made to it too.

Trupti said...

cake looks delicious & perfect.

Trupti
Fashion Deals For Less
Recipe Center