Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sunday, bunny Sunday

No bangers and mash on Sunday; rather we had Doritos and Coke for dinner. Or should I say Cuke. ;-) We feasted on an enormous amount of lovely leek, potato, and blue cheese soup with homemade bread for lunch and, as I was all kinds of efficient and immediately cleaned up the kitchen and ran the dish machine, I felt no great desire to mess things up. So junk food and sugar bubbles for all! And candy. Mass, disgusting quantities of candy.

The soup was massively good and, if you have any recollection of my recent obsession with Rachel Allen, both the bread and soup recipes came from her books. Which ones, I can't remember, but both came out utterly fantastic. Simple, simple, which is what I'm looking for these days as I'm trying to catch up with the house and need things that don't require a vast amount of work. Here, for your visual enjoyment:


Brown bread, lovely and basic, with no yeast, ergo, no long wait period just mix and throw into the oven. Makes you feel all kinds of lovely and healthy just looking at it.



When you combine leeks and potatoes with glorious blue cheese you get a lunch full of yum:


Unfortunately, I was a bit heavy on the salt early in the cooking process so the end result was a tad over salted once the cheese was added; however, it wasn't like licking the beach. Jandar really liked it and said he'd be more than happy to eat it again because--and I quote--"It's potatoes with cheese, blue cheese, come on!" Another plus was that he loved the bread. One of the boys wonder liked both the soup and bread but the other didn't, no big surprise there because, well, they're four. Ner. I was wrong when I thought this wouldn't be good for keeping because it wasn't as creamy or dense as I anticipated so I think a small batch of this could easily be stored for a day or two. We ate it all in one sitting so I wasn't able to test my theory but I think it's a safe one.

Soup of the week was the recipe from "Living with Ed" with Ed Begley, Jr., the show on PlanetGreen that showcases his uber-green lifestyle. So damn simple (lentils, onions, broccoli, carrots, a fresh hot chili pepper, ginger, garlic, water) but the end result was very tasty. I had a big bowl yesterday for lunch and it partnered well with the bread. Oh, the bread recipe makes two loaves so it's a good way to always have bread around because it freezes well. I actually went out and bought a loaf of whole wheat bread last week to satisfy the bairns' craving for a peanut butter sandwich but, ugh, just didn't like it myself. I've grown so used to a dense, hearty bread that the pappiness of this really bugged me. So I finished the loaf and I'm on a quest to convince them to tolerate mine. I'm thinking thinner slices, maybe toasted might be a start, especially as they loved the homemade jam.

Yesterday I tried homemade ketchup. Hm. Not quite sure this will go over at all with Jerry as it tastes slightly more barbecue-y than full-stop ketchup. It is good, though, whatever it is, and I'm looking forward to trying it out on a burger or with some nice, thick steak fries. I don't think it's a partner for an eggwich. Here is what the finished product looks like:

I really should have cropped that before posting so ignore my sink. :-) The recipe originally called for fresh tomatoes but I used whole plum in a can because that's all I had and, when I get the bug to make something, I make do. Again, I like it, and I can't wait to put it to use. I also made a yellow sponge cake from one of my Tanas and topped it with a simple chocolate ganache. That pic came out completely wonky as all my kitchen light bulbs except one blew and I was too lazy to move the cake into the dining room where there was proper light. What the hell, here is spooky cake:


What I like best about this is that the icing comes off in a block so I can just eat the cake. I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate but Jerry loves it and I like to alternate baked goods with chocolate one week, fruit or vanilla or something else the next. That way, everyone is happy. Which is why I usually have a batch of biscotti on hand because he doesn't like those but they get me through the brownie weeks just fine.

Spoooooooky cake...

3 comments:

The Caked Crusader said...

Love the sound of that soup - I shall have to revisit my Rachel Allen books! I like her recipes too - they are always unpretentious and reliable

Lisa said...

Hi Crusading One!

Both the soup and bread are from her "Food for Living" book; I have the paperback edition so the pages are 15 and 38, respectively.

Even my boys like watching the videos and recognize her immediately on her book covers. I like the books because they have that "Why didn't I think of that?" factor going for them. :)

Bridget said...

I have to agree with Jerry about the soup - with those ingredients, how could you ever go wrong??

Oh and your sink - puhleeze. I don't think ours has ever looked that clean!

Are you going to make another Spoooooky Cake for Halloween??