Thursday, February 5, 2009

Snow, chili, brownies, and tart-y goodness

We had some nice snow late Tuesday, about 5 inches I think. I took this shot of a tree in our yard through my kitchen window at about 6:30am:



Pretty.

I made chili for the Super Bowl, something I've decided to name Pub Chili, simply because it used a bottle of Harp and, as it's Irish, well, pub. Naturally. Although it was tasty, I must admit that I don't understand the fascination of some British recipes calling for pancetta as a base meat. Now, I love the stuff, don't get me wrong, but it seemed out of place in this recipe and I won't use it next time; in fact, I'm not even including it in the recipe below. I think I'd have the same problem with bacon, too. I just don't know. Anyhoo, the recipe came about because I'd read something for chili con carne in one of Tana's books and decided to spin off from there. Here you go:



Pub Chili

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
Salt & pepper
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
1.5lbs ground sirloin
1 small can tomato paste
1 bottle Harp lager (or whatever you have in the house already)
1 or 2 chilies, finely chopped (optional)
28oz can kidney beans (I like the dark)

Heat the oil in a soup/pasta/stock pot. Add the onion, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook slowly until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until you can just smell it, but don't let it get any color. Stir in the chili powders then add the meat, breaking it up into small pieces (unless you like large chunks, your call). Once the meat has cooked through (you don't have to brown it), stir through the tomato paste and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, just to get the rawness out of the paste. Add the beer and the chilies if you are using them and bring the to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer for an hour, then add the beans and go for another thirty minutes. I like to serve with sour cream and scallions, with homemade tortilla chips on the side:



I also made a Donna Hay recipe for brownies:


On Monday, I attempted jam tarts. I suck--absolutely suck--at pie crust but don't really care as long as the end result tastes good. I used Bonne Maman wild blueberry preserves and think they taste fabulous:



The bairns took one bite, spit it out, and demanded Pop Tarts. I was able to appease them with the same jam spread on some Ritz. Crackheads. ;-)

2 comments:

Bridget said...

However, the upside of them not liking the tarts, is that there are more for you, right?

Quilting Mama said...

Enjoy the tarts yourself - the barins just don't know fine cooking when presented.