Monday, February 9, 2009

Baby ewe-y

Saturday was me thinking it would be all kinds of fun to do some Greek-inpsired dishes. I forgot to take a picture, but I did a magnificent plate of shrimp saganaki, basically sauteed some chopped garlic in kalamata olive oil with chunks of tomatoes and kalamata olive, added a sprinkle of dried Greek oregano, the shrimp, then, before serving, swirled through some gorgeously briny feta. Served in a shallow bowl with little Italian rolls on the side to get every last bit of sauce. Full of yum.

For dinner I decided on lamb patties in pitas. I was lucky to find some ground lamb (you know where, c'mon) so I mixed it with fresh parsley, the aforementioned dried Greek oregano, and salt and pepper, then formed it into pita-sized patties. Whilst I was doing that, I grilled some eggplant to be chopped and used as a condiment; I also made my own version of tzatziki, with diced cucumber, yogurt, crushed cumin seed, and garlic, all stirred together. I removed the eggplant to cool then cooked the lamb patties. Halved the pitas and each pocket got a pattie, some eggplant, purple onion, tomato, and sauce. I like to eat my hot peppers on the side. All in all, a most excellent food day.
With the exception of the cookies. I used a Jo Pratt recipe but am not really pleased with them. Her fault, my fault, neither really, I think, they're just not to my liking. But they are very pretty and everyone else is enjoying them so nothing is wasted. I just won't make them again.

Today we went to NoneSuchFarms because we made the mistake of watching Tony Bourdain in Chicago last night and I decided we really, really needed to have hot dogs in the house. They make a wonderful dog so I picked up a dozen, along with scrapple (yes, it's full of yum, get over yourself), some more ground lamb (I want to make a moussaka-ish pasta dish), dried cherries, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, and other bits and bobs for the cupboards. Also a bigass salad that I shared with my mom so I can completely justify the doggies for dinner.

Oh, I'm on the Foodie BlogRoll. Yay!

4 comments:

The Caked Crusader said...

whenever I "eat Greek" saganaki is always top of my list along with salt cod. Not sure I'd be adventurous enough to try and cook it all - I am very impressed!

Bridget said...

The shrimp saganaki sounds like a meal on its own. Yum.

Your pita pocket sandwiches look pretty yummy too, please hold the lamb on mine ...

OK, so what was the problem with the cookies - they look good enough?

Bridget said...

Oh, and also - congratulations on making the Foodie BlogRoll, that is pretty exciting!

Just please don't forget all of us little people now ...

Lisa said...

Crusader, I really should get around to doing something with salt cod. I have no excuse because I can buy it pretty much whenever I want. I've just been lazy.