Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Oh, it's on, Kee Kee. It is on.

Kee Kee recently posted in the comments that her goal was to cook 100 new recipes this year. I think this is a most excellent idea and invite everyone to play along. By everyone I mean the four people who actually read this nonsense (I somehow haven't gone Hollywood yet. Hm.). If you try something new, let me know in the comments or email. For my part, I'm hoping to do the following two recipes this week, although it's highly likely that I will only manage one, as Jerry has jiu jitsu most nights and the chittlins often stare blankly at me when presented with too much culinary goodness.

From Rachel Allen's "Rachel's Favorite Food at Home" the recipe on p. 196, Homemade Pork Sausages with Colcannon and Apple Sauce. Now, I've made something resembling homemade breakfast sausage before but this, I believe, is meant to be a somewhat traditional banger-and-mash meal. The picture is lipsmackingly gorgeous and I can't wait to tuck in.


Next is a vegetarian option from Ruta Kahate's "5 spices, 50 dishes" an Indian cookbook Jerry got me for Xmas. This book is a treat and removes the challenge from Indian cooking: simple Indian recipes using five common spices. And, as everything can be found at the supermarket, no need to spend a week's wages on shipping from Kalustyan's (http://www.kalustyans.com/) for things like amchoor or asafoetida. On page 40 is a recipe for Black-eyed Peas in a Spicy Goan Curry, which, if the accompanying picture is any indication, should be a most delicious experience.

This leads me to the idea that, if I'm going to try two recipes each week, I'm going to make one a veggie option. I have a really nice stash of veggie titles and almost every other book has something meatless that I've always wanted to try. I also subscribe to Food & Wine, which has amazing recipes, too.

Okay, Kee Kee, bring your knives, and let battle commence.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Uh oh, a contest between Kee Kee and Queen LaLa - this should be interesting!

I think I shall have to ask my bookstore spouse to look for that Indian cookbook, it sounds quite promising ...

Kee Kee said...

hahaha excellent! I am trying my hand at Chicken Coq a Vin tonight from The Barefoot Contessa (my hero) new cookbook Back to Basics... I'm a little scared of the part where I set the dish on fire, but if I live unscorched to tell the story I'll let you know how it is!!! It is on!!! I wish we had that guy from Iron Chef America to introduce each new recipe! IRON COOK LA LA your secret ingredient for today is COLCANNON!

Kee Kee said...

Queen La La, may we also ask you cooking questions on this blog? One of the new recipes I tried last week was Barefoot Contessa's Jam Thumbprint cookies. Essentially they are shortbread cookies, have you made shortbread before? The recipe I used did not call for eggs and was literally butter (lots) and sugar and the batter never really came together at all and crumbled all around me as a I tried to work with it.. they look they would be yummy cookies, so if you have made any kind of shortbread cookies before could you let a gal in on some tips????

Jerry said...

Jiu-jitsu most nights? Maybe some day...