The weather people lied. Instead of 3 to 5 inches of snow we're getting a wintry mix tonight. I'm disappointed. I was all kinds of excited to think about a hearty meal with the snow falling outside. Oh well. The braciole I made turned out quite lovely, despite the rolling of the weather bones not falling in my favor.
I picked up a pack of beef at Altomonte's today, along with a quarter pound of domestic proscuitto. First, the oven was preheated to 325. I pounded the meat until it was about a quarter-inch thick, then sprinkled on a layer of freshly grated pecorino romano and Grana Padano, topped that with a slice of the proscuitto, then about a tablespoon of seasoned breadcrumbs (I've discussed their goodness in an earlier post), then one more layer of cheese.
Rolled each one widthwise and tied tightly with twine to prevent the filling from falling out. While this was being done, I heated several tablespoons of olive oil (not extra virgin this time) in a large pan that could be put into the oven.
Seared the rolls on all sides until nicely browned. Added four cloves of chopped garlic when the meat was on its last side. Once it was lightly cooked, I deglazed the pan with about a third cup of red wine. I had a bottle of shiraz/tempranillo open so I just used that. Turned the heat up high to boil and reduce it slightly. I rolled the braciole around to coat it completely with the garlicky wine.
Added a large can of peeled whole plum tomatoes and a sprinkling of salt and black pepper. I didn't use any herbs as I wanted the tomatoes to be flavored simply, with just the wine, meat juices, and whatever bits fell out of the rolls. Brought again to the boil, plonked on the lid, then into the oven for 2 hours. I didn't really time it as I planned on serving it when Jerry got home, so it was in the oven for the long haul.
I was going to make polenta, thinking it would make a nice base for the sauce; however, I didn't have nearly enough in my cupboard and, when I make that, I like to make a lot. So instead I sauteed some red potatoes and zucchini chunks in rosemary butter and topped them with a generous sprinkling of pecorino romano.
I thought it turned out really good and, as it counts towards my two new recipes a week challenge, I'm pleased that I have only one left to go. Last week I will admit was a wash as I only made one. However, I will admit that I am tempted to include new baked goods as I made awesome brownies from a new recipe and it's only fair that they count. I think I'll fall back on baking only as a last resort as it really is fun trying new.
Oh, we finished up a box of Godiva for dessert. Yum.