Friday, January 9, 2009

Go 'way, I wanna lick my bowl

Made the blackeye pea curry.

Oh my god. Oh so freakin' beyond incredible. So good. I mean, really, really good. The kind of veggie recipe that I wish I'd been aware of back when I was a veggie for it would have saved me from eating my way through the Morningstar Farms aisle again...and again...and again. It took about thirty total minutes and the hardest thing to do was mince some onions and grate some garlic and ginger. Made the spinach raita to go alongside; whilst I thought it quite tasty, Jerry wasn't overly fond of it, saying it was too "minty". There was no mint in it, but I think the freshly grated ginger and ground cumin may have been too heavy a flavor combination for him to enjoy. Unfortunately, the "fresh" pack of wheat pitas (whitas?) I picked up somehow became moldy and inedible en route from Tanner's to our dinner plates, and I didn't have any in the freezer but we came through that tragedy relatively unscathed. Plenty of Foster's (It's AUSTRALIAN for beer, MATE!) helped.

So, my fellow foodies, get Ruta's book and get it now. If these recipes are any indication about what's in store, it's worth every penny.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I got the cookbook just because of your mention, and that recipe does look like a keeper.

I haven't tried any of them yet, but have most of the book marked with post-its for what I want to try ...