Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cheesy moo

Man, I'm feeling it today. The approaching cold front, which has left me achy, stuffy, and all around miserable. Fortunately, the chittlins are in preschool today and I get a little break. I stopped on the way home after dropping them off, debating which kind of soup I wanted, du jour from Altomonte's or hot & sour from the Chinese takeaway next door. Chicken pastina won out. It's good, very good, but it has those creepy chicken bits that make you think you're ready to chomp down on a bone but it's only a piece of dark meat. And I'm picking my way around the celery because that's just all kinds of nasty. I have an intense dislike for cooked celery. Raw, it rocks, but cooked, damn, it just gets all kind of spooky when exposed to heat. So, it's a good soup, worth the effort, but I kinda sorta wish I had gotten the hot & sour. Much less work and the fear factor, well, if you eat Chinese you never really know what you're in for and you become immune. I might leave home a little early and snag some en route to the school, instead of my usual weekly latte treat.



Even though I feel lousy, part of me really, really wants to make cheesesteaks tonight for dinner. Now, I'm from Philly, I love me a cheesesteak. I have a certain leeriness towards fried onions (a holdover from when I was pregnant), so I always play it safe and just throw some raw on the top. And I like ketchup on the side, so I can dunk the sandwich when I choose, instead of having ketchup in every bite. Whilst getting the soup, I got some nice, fresh Italian steak rolls and provolone cheese, my favorite on cheesesteaks. Contrary to what you may see on tv, not everyone in the city of Philadelphia gets their steaks from Pat's or Geno's. Trust me, I know. I have eaten at both but it was eons ago and I can't offer a valid opinion. Tourists flock there and also to Jim's on South Street (not a fan of theirs, that much I remember), but I think I can safely say that the best cheesesteak is the one you're chowing down at that moment. Try to avoid those put out by chains such as Subway or Quiznos, etc., as those are merely impostors. Your best bet is to seek out pizza places in your area, preferably those who deliver as you never know when there might be a torrential downpour and you've tripped over the dog, spraining your ankle, unable to operate a moving vehicle, but in dire, dire need of a cheesesteak. Delis, eh, I'm not too keen on getting my hot sandwiches from a deli. Pizza places have the ovens, the grills, and I think they know better what they are doing. And don't believe that it has to have Cheez Whiz. That's really more of a South Philly thing and you may not find a place willing to do that for you. Plus, in my opinion, ugh. I love the Whiz but do not want it near my steak. Provolone or American is the way to go. Onions rock as do sweet peppers but I think adding pepperoni or any other meat is a travesty. You want cow, plain and simple, with additions that compliment the moo not compete with it. And don't even consider a cheesesteak hoagie. Man, that is just all kinds of wrong. Mayonnaise? Are you freakin' kidding me?

Side of fries, too, please. Thanks.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

This made me think of a woman I worked with in Chicago, who visited NYC for the first time, and went to the Carnegie Deli, 'cause she had always heard of it. She couldn't understand why the waitress wouldn't bring her a corned beef sandwich on white bread with mayo ...

Lisa said...

Ew. That should be reserved for the privacy of one's own home and not inflicted upon the masses.

Then again, let's be real. It doesn't take much to piss off anyone in New York: The Only City on the East Coast that Matters. Pfft.

april said...

dude, had the best steak i've had in a long time at sonny's on 2nd and market. check it out the next time you're in town.

Jenn (yeah, THAT Jenn) said...

I had my first Geno's cheesesteak last summer when I was up there. My first ever, can you believe it? To be honest, it didn't impress me in the least. I make better cheesesteaks myself with a box of SteakUmms and some Velveeta. And you know how I am in the kitchen, in general. Of course, down here you can't even get a decent hard roll, so it's not really worth the effort.