Thursday, January 29, 2009

Camelot


There's something so damn satisfying about having 25lbs of flour delivered to your door. Why, you can use some of it to celebrate the arrival of the new Rachel Allen.



I dove right in and made the Chocolate and Vanilla Marble Cake on p. 48 as my first recipe. It's good, a little dense but not like a pound cake, and I used Dutch-process cocoa for the chocolate part, which I think made a very nice end result. I spent some time perusing the book and it's full of all kinds of good things, sweet and savory. The title refers--quite literally--to baking. For example, the sections are Sweet mouthfuls; Cakes; Puddings; Breads and savoury bites; Tarts and pies; Breakfast and patisserie; Baked meals; Holiday and celebration; Basic recipes and techniques. It's a fairly hefty book, coming in at 288pp., and worth every penny. Or pence. Or Euro. Or whatever I really paid for it. It's got gorgeous photos and would be at home in any cook's library because of the scope of the recipes. Baking is not just about cookies and cakes and muffins; it is also about a nice eggplant dish or a gratin or pizza. Also, baking should be fun. And that's what this book is, too, fun.
How do I store 25lbs of flour you may ask? I have a very large jar that holds 10lbs; the rest I roll the top down and store it on top of my fridge, hoping that it doesn't tilt forward and turn someone into a dusty mess.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Which reminds me, I think I shall request a marble cake for my birthday cake ...

The Caked Crusader said...

I bow to your mighty bag of flour. one day I shall own such a bag....one day.....